Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Another Photo Blog (Mostly)

Saturday I had intended on going shopping in Insadong but the torrential rains kept me closer to home. During a break in the rain, I decided to try walking to E*Mart (the grocery mega-store). I figured if it started raining again it would be a lot easier to take a cab home and at least I'd be getting some exercise. I never found E*Mart, but I stumbled upon Seolleung National Park, housing the tombs of a former King and Queen.

As you can see, the park is right in the middle of the city. But it's strangely quiet inside and there are lots of places for sitting and walking. In fact, I'm pretty sure the locals just go to walk the loop & watch the birds. Total Admission Cost: $1.




I also found the Lotte Department store and wandered around. It was similar to a Nordstroms - very high end with little boutique-like shops & a huge food court/gourmet foods area. In the ladies room I got caught trying to take a photo of the warning signs on the bidet. You can't see it well but it's all kids doing strange things on the toilet. On the bottom left is a little boy smoking that just cracked me up. Like, yeah, that's the first thing I think of when I think "Danger" & "Bidet."


Saturday night I met up with an American friend of a friend for dinner & many drinks. We met outside the subway and I was enjoying the throngs of people coming up and popping their umbrellas open. I saw a few people get smacked in the face.


Look - it's She's Bar! Right next to Dunkin' Donuts:


M's friend Y - playing the Didgeridoo at the Hookah bar:


Very Drunk People:


I unfortunately didn't get any photos inside the Flinestones bar, but I got a lot of blurry shots like this. I think it sums up my state of mind at the time:


Lastly, I go to the local convenience store just about everyday for snacks or drinks. I was delighted to find a fruit basket today with cherry tomatoes, mini oranges and the biggest grapes I've ever seen. It just made me happy, so I leave you with that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's frightening just how proportional those 3 fruits are. Only in Asia, man.

Grain Damaged said...

Totally what Scotty said.

Also looks like you had fun. X^)