Monday, February 25, 2008

Travel related items rattling around my brain...

I'm having a hard time concentrating on all the things I need to do. So, in an effort to procrastinate I will post all the stuff I need to get out of my head. Let the brain-dumping begin...

- I hope my passport & visa come back this week. I had to actually send my passport out to San Francisco and it makes me nervous. I asked the travel guy about it and he said they had "Only lost 2-3 in the last few years." Thanks buddy, that's very reassuring.

- I need to fuss around with the new expense tracking system. There is some concern about wether it functions on a mac or not and I'd rather find out now so I can make alternate arrangements. Also, I need to find out if I can scan my receipts and email them or if I'm going to need to FedEx them back to the states. If I don't submit each and every receipt my AMEX doesn't get paid and I'm responsible for the late fees. And frankly, since the opening balance is going to be in the $5k range, I don't want to see that bill.

-As my mom keeps reminding me, I also need a calling card. My manager is checking to see the status on that. We thought they came directly with the AMEX but I guess they are mailed separately... it would be really nice if there was some sort of accurate information out there about the corporate travel policies and proceedures.

- I should get my new computer this week. Okay, it's actually a 4 year old laptop and not the sleek killing machine that I'd like, but it will be my lifeblood over there. I'm hoping for enough time to get files transferred over and things set-up the way I like. I'll also need to test out my new SecureID keychain thing and make sure I am smart enough to use it.

- When I get over there I am going to ask for help purchasing tickets to see Jason Mraz in Seoul, and ask about regional travel opportunities. I'd like to take advantage of my new location as much as possible, so I'm thinking a weekend trip to Hong Kong or Tokyo. Also, J suggested I move my departure date back a week and go to Thailand or Bali on vacation...I'm not sure I can do that due to time restrains, the fact that I already miss my dog and have deadlines at work, but I like the idea. Maybe moving it back a few days would be doable.

- Lots of personal errands to run, and no motivation to do so. I have some clothes to return, travel books to purchase and a vet appointment for the beast. I have to go to the VA to pick up my meds, which took 3 hours last time (for sinus medication! It's not exactly a rare drug!). I'm having a spare key made for my brother, who is going to keep my lawn from eating my house, and I need to set up dates to drop of my plants and dog with their caregivers. My truck is overdue for an oil change and the tags are about to expire, so I have to go to DEQ and I need to leave a blank check with X so she can pay the speeding ticket I got last week when it comes in the mail(whoops!). I need to borrow an electrical adapter from X, reprogram my thermostat, pack, update the iPod and set-up a bill pay schedule.

- I have lots of things to do for work too, like developing reference materials for the new group, creating list-serves, working with our new designer on processes, updating my CFE (yearly evals), working on CFE projects, emailing my team(s) to make sure they send me recaps of our major meetings & get me what I need for next season, planning a workload calendar, and continuing to work on my current (never-ending) season. Oh, and I have to remember to set out-of-office email and voicemails.

- I filed my taxes today and I'm only a few dollars poorer...a step up from last years $1500 payment, but still not making sense. I can't figure out how I can have nearly $20k in deductions but still owe money. Also, I think the IRS and my Employer could both use some lessons on how to provide clear & concise information. I mean, how am I supposed to know what my "principle business code" is when I don't actually own a business? Bof.

Finally, several of you have asked about my official itinerary, so here that is:

From: Portland Int'l Airport, OR (FIRST CLASS!!!!)
10:20 am, Friday, March 07
To: San Francisco Int'l Airport, CA
12:07 pm, Friday, March 07
Duration: 1 hour and 47 minutes

From: San Francisco Int'l Airport, CA (BIDNESS CLASS!!)
1:39 pm, Friday, March 07
To: Seoul Incheon Intl Airport
7:35 pm, Saturday, March 08
Duration: 12 hours and 56 minutes

From: Seoul Incheon Intl Airport
2:10 pm, Friday, May 02
To: San Francisco Int'l Airport, CA
8:33 am, Friday, May 02
Duration: 10 hours and 23 minutes

From: San Francisco Int'l Airport, CA
11:00 am, Friday, May 02
To: Portland Int'l Airport, OR
12:42 pm, Friday, May 02
Duration: 1 hour and 42 minutes

This turned into a much longer post than I expected, but I do feel a bit better now. Maybe now I can finish the jersey illustration I've been working on since Friday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny... you didn't *mention* the speeding ticket! lol. Oops. X^D

That's strange about your taxes... I thought you got that wrapped up after last years fiasco.

Oh man! Business class to Asia is the way to go! (They used to shuttle us over there cattle class - 15 hours at the back of the bus sucks!) Enjoy! (Hears ::ping:: of toasting champagne glasses in the back ground) Hehehe

-J

stedman said...

i love that you get back to pdx and hour before you left seoul. that is rad time.