Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Day 1 & 2

Shakes and I went to the mall on Sunday to have some lunch and experience Korean life. We tried talked about seeing a movie but were to overwhelmed on how how to order a ticket in Korean. Here is a movie poster you might recognize, except not:


So, we decided to go to the Aquarium instead (also in the mall). It's just like most aquariums except in the middle you hit this Disneyland like area where they just put fish in anything they can find. Like washing machines or mailboxes.






My personal favorite was this little monster of a fish that reminded me of the Merman in Tombstone, Arizona. I may have nightmares for the rest of my life.



On our way out of the mall we stumbled across this millennia old temple, that is still a functioning church.



Also, it seems that the kanji I have tattooed on my neck now translates to "flower pot." Silver says that she recognizes the ancient meaning but that the asian languages change very often so this is a common phenom. At least it doesn't translate as "Piss Off."

Day 2
Worked pretty solidly throughout the moring and then went to traditional lunch. I asked the team about it and they said they went to lunch together everyday. Kinda a nice change from our solitary lifestyle in the US. Anyway, I had a roe based rice bowl and it was quite lovely.

Managed to spill an entire bottle of ginger root based energy drink on my lap, resulting in Shakes dreaming up the name of Gingerpants. Between this and the tattoo I may never be known as Kate again.

Later IK came up to me and asked if I wouldn't mind having dinner with the group. He asked if my jetlag was okay and I told him that I was tired, but would love to come out to dinner. He told me we would drink Soju (Korean Whiskey/Vodka) and it would kill the cold. I, of course, agreed.

We went out for traditional Korean BBQ and it was wonderful. The only problem I have with these meals is that they NEVER stop bringing out food. I seriously don't understand how they are all so thin. They just eat and eat and eat.



Also, the cows blood soup is not so bad - I didn't eat the coagulated bits but the broth is quite nice.


Just for X:
The girls here keep a toothbrush in the office bathroom for oral hygenene, but also keep a dishrack for the coffee mugs they wash there. Many of the toilets here have automatic seat covers and they have mouthwash dispensers in the bathrooms. Newcastle costs 12$ per bottle but oftentimes the boss takes you out drinking on the company dime.

2 comments:

Grain Damaged said...

Mmmm... squishy cow blood soup. 0.o

Anonymous said...

You know how I love me some oral hygiene. As that ancient proverb goes: Dental Cleanliness is next to godliness....or something like that.
-X