Thursday, March 20, 2008

One Hundred and Twenty Two

The morning started like any other morning - wake up, shower, dress, log in to work network to chat & check email. Slowly a terrifying tale unfolded...while I slept last night 122 of my colleagues were laid off. And another handful have "fallen off the org chart" and being absorbed elsewhere - wether they like it or not.

The idea of being laid off is terrifying to me. In my current state of debt there is no way I could survive on unemployment, and frankly, the job market sucks right now. So I feel pretty bad for those 122. I don't know exactly who they are or what they did, but it sucks. And the way the company is handling these "re-orgs" sucks too.

For instance - a friend was offered a choice: take this job (in my department, and which she does not want) or you can quit. But if you quit, you will not get severance or benefits. Nice huh? Meanwhile, that job was a rare opportunity for advancement in my group - and it's been taken away. Needless to say, I'm not in a pleasant mood.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well for heaven's sake, YOU have job security...You ARE working for them in a foreign country........Sucks for the Laid-Off..that seems to be going around the country in ALL kinds of businesses. Bummer. Sounds like they have definately made sure you'll be employed thru the end of the CENTURY with the amount of work that is expected! So not to worry.